Individuals who participate and compete in Shows run and organised by the Connemara Pony Breeders’ Society play an integral, essential and highly valued part in promoting and developing the industry associated with the Connemara Pony. The image of both the Connemara Pony and the Society, at home and abroad, can be significantly enhanced by exhibitors and competitors continuing to set, and act by, the highest standards of presentation and showmanship. The Connemara Pony Breeders’ Society aims to encourage displays and competitions of Connemara Ponies, and is committed to observing and implementing the very highest standards of exhibition and safety at all times.
Whilst the Society’s Annual Connemara Pony Show sets and demands the highest standards for its competitors, such standards should be observed at all shows where Connemara Ponies are participating.
Exhibitors and competitors at the Society’s Annual Connemara Pony Show are obliged to abide by the rules, regulations and bye-laws of the Society and by the rules and regulations specific to the Show and any Class therein.
For the purposes of this ‘Code of Conduct’ the term ‘Exhibitor’ shall include ‘Competitor’, ‘Handler’, ‘Groom’ or any other person who is in charge of a pony at any particular time during the Show.
2.1 Exhibitors at the Society’s Annual Connemara Pony Show undertake to:
- (a) abide by the rules, regulations and bye-laws of the Society;
- (b) abide by the rules and regulations specific to the Show and any Classes therein;
- (c) compete only with animals that are eligibly suited to the level of competition;
- (d) present themselves and their ponies properly prior to and upon entering the ring;
- (e) know the rules of the competition and to behave at all times properly and respectfully to Judges, Show Officials and fellow competitors.
3. EXHIBITOR RESPONSIBILITIES
3.1 Exhibitors leading, riding or showing ponies in competitions must be over 14 years of age on 1st January in the year in which the show is staged, unless otherwise stated in Class description.
- (a) It is the responsibility of the exhibitor to have proof of age if required to provide it, and failure to do so might result in disqualification from taking part.
3.2 Upon entering the ring, an exhibitor must be aware that the Ring Steward is responsible for the management of all activities inside the Show Ring, and he/she must act in accordance with any instructions given by the Ring Steward.
3.3 Having entered the Show Ring an exhibitor and his/her pony are forbidden from leaving the ring until instructed to do so by the Ring Steward.
- (a) An instruction from the Ring Steward to leave the Show Ring must be complied with immediately and safely.
3.4 Exhibitors must be competently in charge of their ponies at all times until same are removed from the Showgrounds.
3.5 It is the responsibility of an exhibitor to ensure that their animal(s) are presented for adjudication or competition when required and at the right time.
- (a) In the event that the Show Schedule is not running on time, remains the responsibility of the exhibitor to present his/her exhibit when the Class is called into the Show Ring.
3.6 No person may lead more than one pony at any time inside the Show grounds.
3.7 No exhibitor will be allowed to enter the Show Ring without wearing the correct exhibit number for the Class or competition being run. Exhibit numbers must be worn in accordance with Show regulations and, unless otherwise specified, must be worn on the exhibitor’s back in a manner that it can be clearly seen.
3.8 Exhibitors in in-hand Classes are expected to be smartly dressed with appropriate footwear designed to avoid slipping on wet surfaces.
3.9 Exhibitors in Ridden Classes must wear the Dress appropriate to the Class.
- (a) Protective headgear must be worn by riders in Ridden Classes of Kite mark standard – PAS 015 or EN 1385 and fitted with adjustable harness, or as specified by Rules and Specifications governing the Show or Class.
3.10 By entering an exhibit in the Show, an exhibitor is obliged to accept the decision(s) of the Judge(s), which shall be final, and to behave in the Show Ring in a manner that best befits the highest standards of sportsmanship.
- (a) An exhibitor shall at all times treat Judges, Stewards and fellow competitors with courtesy and respect.
- (b) Bad language and/or bad behaviour which constitutes misconduct is not tolerated under any circumstances and might result in immediate sanctions being applied if deemed appropriate by the Show Chairperson.
3.11 An exhibitor who infringes any of the rules, regulations and bye-laws of the Society or who infringes any of rules specifically governing the Show might be required to participate in an inquiry into the circumstances of such an alleged infringement and might face sanctions or penalties, if warranted, which might include being disbarred from showing in the future.
- (a) If an exhibitor leaves the Show Ring without the permission of the Ring Steward, the Show Chairperson shall have the right to deny ponies belonging to the exhibitor from being shown in any other Classes during the course of the Show.
3.12 An exhibitor who makes a false declaration or misrepresent a fact regarding themselves or their exhibit shall be liable to disqualification and/or forfeiture of any prizes awarded.
3.13 Smoking and the use of mobile phones is not permitted in the Show ring.
3.14 Exhibitors must not be under the influence of alcohol or mind altering substances.
Document Title: Financial Procedures – Connemara Pony Breeders Society
Issue Date: 19/10/15
Effective Date: 19/10/15
Authorised by: Tom MacLochlainn – President
Document / Procedure No: 004
Revision No: 001