HWSD – Purchasing and Breeding Connemara Ponies – Important Information
PURCHASING and BREEDING CONNEMARA PONIES
- Always check the HWSD status of the pony you plan to purchase or breed from and to.
- N/N (not affected/not a carrier), N/HWSD (not affected/carrier) and HWSD/HWSD (affected) are the three statuses.
- The status will be printed in the pony’s passport on the back page.
- Always ask to see the passport to check. Do not accept a verbal statement on the status.
- If purchasing at ‘the sales’ the official green Connemara passport will be available to view in the sales office. White passports are not Connemara passports.
- The CPBS recommends most strongly that a purchaser does not buy a HWSD/HWSD pony.
- The CPBS recommends most strongly that a purchaser does not buy a Connemara pony where the status information is not available.
- If breeding, please, the CPBS asks you not to use an HWSD/HWSD pony in any cross.
- It is perfectly acceptable to breed an N/N to an N/HWSD. In fact the CPBS encourages this cross.
- It is perfectly acceptable to breed an N/N to an N/N.
- It is not acceptable to breed N/HWSD to N/HWSD. An HWSD/HWSD could result.
- Due to EU legislation the CPBS can only most strongly recommend any action in relation to breeding.
- If purchasing from a dealer, private sale or at sales remember CAVEAT EMPTOR – BUYER BEWARE!!!!